Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Detroit City Council -- No Common Sense

I've lived in this area for most of my life and for decades I've worked for, waited for, wished for, and even prayed for the impending "revival" of Detroit. As a commercial loan officer for what was the National Bank of Detroit I participated in many initiatives which targeted redevelopment of the city. I saw many good people achieve nominal, but typically small, levels of success toward that goal. I was always struck by the hope and vision of these well meaning and resourceful individuals. A common thread tying these personalities together was a wish for the emergence of transformative political leadership. I shared that wish, I remain disappointed.

The Detroit City Council's rejection of a regionally cooperative renovation of Cobo Arena is a potentially crippling setback for a city and a region that cannot stand anymore set backs. I hope the Mayor's veto of this ill advised rejection stands, and I hope that we all continue the work of moving forward, because the price of falling backward is unimaginable.

One vision of a backward path for Detroit can be seen below - It is a small pre-production film which paints a sometimes sad, yet accurate and eye opening tale of our town. A person in the film talking about the People Mover informs us that when it was built there "were hopes of going farther, but they were never realized...." So, where do we go from here?


Detroit Wildlife from florent tillon on Vimeo.

No comments: